Tomato Orzo Soup with Mini Turkey Meatballs
This is a person of those soups you just just cannot stop having. The idea very first came to me since I required to make something reminiscent of people superior outdated Spaghetti-O’s you likely had as a child.
Besides you know, I figured we’d elevate the taste a bit with a good deal of herbs, spices, pesto-infused mini turkey meatballs, orzo (trigger we’re developed-ups now) and a creamy sweet coconut milk tomato broth that is only OUT OF THIS Planet Delicious.
I initial shared this superb creamy tomato orzo soup recipe back in January of 2021 — the time of calendar year when all of that troublesome hoopla to “detox” and focus on what to quit undertaking seems to be anything. Every time I see individuals styles of messages, no matter whether it is in the new 12 months or in the course of the holiday getaway season, I like to remind myself what I can insert to my existence. We can definitely “reset” by slowing down, rejuvenating and grounding ourselves, relocating far more deliberately, obtaining means to join with folks, and of course, nourishing our bodies with foodstuff that is just as comforting as it is nutrient-dense. AKA it’s the excellent time to present ourselves some really like with a huge bowl of nutritious developed-up Spaghetti-O’s — are you down?
Rely on your female, and make this soup. You’ll really like it and your children will love it. The conclude.
Wanting for additional scrumptious soup recipes?
Enter your electronic mail to get our 10 Best soup recipes straight to your inbox for Totally free!
What is orzo?
Orzo is a style of pasta which is slice small to search like extensive grain rice. It is related in texture to rice but I love the added delectable chewiness that it presents to soups and standard pasta dishes. I like to use it likewise to pearl couscous like in my popular hen soup recipe.
Substances in this orzo tomato soup
This tremendous creamy tomato orzo soup works by using tons of pantry staples for a fantastic, easy weeknight meal that is essentially a hug in a bowl. There is truly absolutely nothing better than wholesome comfort foods when it’s chilly outside the house. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- For the mini turkey meatballs: we’re using lean floor turkey, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, crimson pepper flakes, salt & pepper. I also extra in a little bit of basil pesto and it was genuinely phenomenal! My son cherished the meatballs on their have, way too! Come to feel cost-free to check out my home made pesto for the best handle.
- Veggies: you’ll need to have an onion, carrot & spinach.
- For the broth: the creamy tomato broth is produced with garlic, canned crushed tomatoes, mild coconut milk (from the can), chicken broth, far more Italian seasoning, salt & pepper.
- Orzo: you will also need some dry orzo to toss in and make the soup excess scrumptious.
Quick strategies to customize this tomato orzo soup
This fantastic soup is uncomplicated to customise with distinct ingredient swaps to make it your own. Here’s what I can endorse:
- Go gluten free. Merely use a gluten no cost orzo or swap the orzo for rice, and use gluten free of charge breadcrumbs in the meatballs.
- Keep it vegetarian. Sense free to omit the meatballs and include a can of rinsed, drained chickpeas if you’d like more protein. Then be confident to use vegetable broth in area of the chicken broth.
- Check out a new pasta shape. This orzo tomato soup would be mouth watering with your fav pasta shape like elbows or even spaghetti-o’s.
How to make creamy orzo tomato soup with turkey meatballs
- Make your mini meatballs. You will to start with variety the meatballs by mixing the components together in a significant bowl and then rolling collectively ½ inch mini meatballs. Brown these cuties in a skillet and established them aside.
- Saute your veggies. Then you will prepare dinner down the garlic, onion and carrot a little bit so that they soften.
- Put it all jointly. Stir in the rest of your elements in addition to the spinach, cautiously stir in your meatballs, and enable it all simmer and cook dinner. Include your spinach appropriate at the finish just so that it wilts.
- Provide it up. Provide with additional pesto if you’d like, parmesan, crackers and maybe some home made garlic bread!
Try out it in your sluggish cooker
Sure, this uncomplicated turkey meatball tomato orzo soup can be made in your gradual cooker for simplicity!
- Brown your meatballs as-directed and set aside.
- Add the relaxation of your components other than the orzo & spinach to your slow cooker. Stir in the meatballs and cook on substantial for 3-4 hours or on very low for 6-7 hrs.
- As soon as carried out cooking, incorporate the orzo and spinach, deal with and cook dinner on significant for 15-20 minutes or until finally the orzo is al dente.
If you are crunched for time, you can also skip the meatball rolling and merely brown your floor turkey in a skillet totally with the exact same spices listed, then progress with the recipe as directed. It will still be tasty!
You could also absolutely cook your meatballs 1-2 days beforehand and only stir them into the soup when it is about carried out cooking.
Storing & freezing
- In the refrigerator: this creamy tomato orzo soup will keep very good in your fridge for about 3-5 times, however I doubt it will last that very long! Once your soup is fully cooled, just position it in an airtight container (or multiple, if you’d like to meal prep it). To reheat it, only do so in the microwave with a microwave protected bowl, or really feel free of charge to reheat it on the stovetop.
- In the freezer: comply with the directions previously mentioned, but instead of positioning the soup in the refrigerator just set it in your freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, merely thaw the soup right away and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave when you’re completely ready to eat.
A lot more delightful soup recipe
Get all of my soup recipes right here!
I hope you adore this amazing creamy turkey meatball tomato orzo soup! If you make it, be absolutely sure to depart a remark and a score so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Recipe by: Evi Madison // SRCooking | Images by: Try to eat Love Eats
This publish was initially posted on January 31st, 2021, and republished on Oct 31st, 2022.
Leave a Reply