The Best Lactation Cookies (for nursing mamas!)
Prior to I had Sidney, I understood I required to breastfeed so I set out on a quest to make the most effective lactation cookie recipe so I could established apart a stash in the freezer. I listened to tales of women of all ages acquiring offer problems, so I believed, why not make a seriously freakin’ good, wholesome cookie that allows with milk manufacturing!
It took me a few attempts, but now I can confidently say that these lactation cookies are the Most effective! They taste like chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and are both vegan and gluten free of charge so ALL mamas can have them. Bonus: I even include things like the possibility of producing them thick or thin for a actually customizable cookie.
I built these cookies time and time yet again whilst breastfeeding Sidney, and have liked coming back again to them while breastfeeding Viggo. Honestly, they’re an awesome deal with no matter if your breastfeeding or not, so bake a batch or two and love!
No cost Final Manual to Cookie Baking
Signal up under and get a No cost printable e-e book with my finest guidelines & tips for baking great cookies each time!
What are lactation cookies?
Some of you might be asking yourself what can make these cookies “lactation” cookies. It’s all about the milk-boosting substances which have been known to assistance maximize breastmilk offer, like:
- Flaxseed food: flaxseeds include phytoestrogens that can assistance increase breast milk generation.
- Whole oats: oats consist of iron which is regarded to have a constructive effect on breast milk provide. This lactation cookie recipe works by using equally rolled oats and oat flour for double the oat like.
- Brewer’s yeast: this dietary nutritional supplement is higher in advanced b natural vitamins, protein and selenium, which are all nutrition new moms want. Be sure to take note that not all brewer’s yeast is gluten totally free, so if you are GF be sure to look at the label. The one I have linked is gluten no cost!
Components in these handmade lactation cookies
Together with the healthy substances higher than that make these perfect for nursing mama’s, you’ll also need:
- Coconut sugar: we’re obviously sweetening these lactation cookies with coconut sugar — earning them the fantastic address.
- Coconut oil: a minor coconut oil offers the cookies the perfect total of moisture.
- Taste boosts: you’ll also be including vanilla extract and cinnamon for a warm, cozy taste.
- Darkish chocolate chips: who does not really like a tiny chocolate in their cookies? Sense cost-free to use dairy free of charge chocolate chips if you have to have to.
- To major: I like to sprinkle a minimal extravagant sea salt on major for that sweet & salty combo.
Customize them, mama
These vegan and gluten free of charge lactation cookies are just one of the most effective treats to grab and nourish you, particularly while glued to the couch breastfeeding (my current actuality!). A person of the finest components about these lactation cookies is that they are conveniently customizable. Right here are some solutions to make them your possess:
- Make them with almond flour: I’ve properly made these with almond flour instead of oat flour! Here’s how to do it: use 1 2/3 cup good blanched almond flour (in its place of oat flour) and 1 cup of oats (rather of 3/4 cup oats). You’ll need to have to bake these just a couple minutes longer, and they’ll be softer, but they will be delicious!
- Add in further wholesome fats: sense totally free to insert in ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Incorporate in coconut: adding ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut is delightful and provides a special texture. If you do, I suggest lessening the oat flour to 1 ½ cups full.
- Combine up the increase-ins: sense free to use chocolate chunks instead of chips, or use any form of chocolate chip you’d like. You can also incorporate in dried cherries, dried cranberries or dried blueberries!
Make your have oat flour for cookies
You can simply make your individual gluten free of charge oat flour by simply positioning gluten totally free oats into a blender and mixing/pulsing right until they’re clean and resemble a fantastic flour. This is likely the most inexpensive option. For this recipe, you’ll most probable want 1 2/3 cups of gluten free of charge rolled oats to make the exact same quantity of oat flour. Often evaluate the oat flour to make certain the correct amount termed for in the recipe and check out my tutorial with all of my most effective suggestions & tricks.
How to make lactation cookies with no brewer’s yeast
I recognize that not everybody is possible to have brewer’s yeast in their pantry, therefore I’m together with a couple selections for generating these cookies without the need of brewer’s yeast. You only need to have to pick a single of these possibilities to replace the brewer’s yeast in this recipe:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- Or 1/2 cup fine blanched almond flour
Storing & freezing tips
These uncomplicated lactation cookies are the great handle to freeze for afterwards and take pleasure in every time you have to have a snack or sweet handle.
- To retail store the lactation cookies: feel free to maintain these cookies in an airtight container at home temperature for up to 5 times.
- To freeze the lactation cookies: make guaranteed the cookies are fully cooled, and then transfer them to an airtight container lined with wax or parchment paper or freezer-risk-free bag prior to storing them in the freezer for up to 2 months. I like to spot them in a one layer to prevent any cookies breaking. The moment prepared to consume, just thaw out at room temperature and enjoy!
Our preferred cookie equipment
Examine out all of our fav kitchen necessities listed here.
Far more cookie recipes you are going to adore
Get all of our delicious cookie recipes right here!
If you make these lactation cookies, be certain to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. We’d also love if you would go away a remark below and charge the recipe. We enjoy you! xo.
Recipe by: Evi Madison // SRCooking | Images by: Consume Appreciate Eats
This article was initially printed on February 11, 2020, and republished on Could 3, 2021.
Leave a Reply