All my life I’ve loved my Mom’s rice and beans. As most of you know, my mom is entire Puerto Rican and so are my grandparents. When I was young, we in essence lived off rice and beans. Don’t get me completely wrong, my mom made hundreds of recipes, but that was the a single I remembered the most.
Several years later, I discovered that cooking from your own heritage was a terrific way to faucet into your roots, generate nostalgia and recall those distinctive times with your household.
This Puerto Rican hen and rice recipe is just one particular of people comforting, nostalgic ones that I appear back to time and time yet again. I enjoy this recipe because every little thing is made in 1 pan, is effortless to prepare dinner, surprises persons with its unique, tasty flavor and is ideal for food prep.
Now it is important to remember that everyone’s model of arroz con pollo is unique — which is the fantastic section about cooking is that you can genuinely make it your own. This is our choose on it, and one I know you are going to adore!
What is arroz con pollo?
Arroz con pollo virtually interprets to “rice with chicken” in Spanish. It’s a traditional dish in Spain and Latin The united states and is just one that I grew up on many thanks to my Puerto Rican grandparents and mom! The chicken and rice are cooked in just one pan or pot with a superb blend of spices and a selfmade sofrito.
Anything you will need to make Puerto Rican rooster & rice
You’re going to Appreciate how scrumptious and nourishing this recipe is. My mom’s certain Puerto Rican get on arroz con pollo includes a couple exclusive twists:
- Hen: I like to use boneless, skinless rooster thighs because they have the greatest flavor.
- Home made adobo seasoning: you’re going to toss the chicken in adobo seasoning, which is made up of 9 scrumptious spices (such as salt & pepper).
- Homemade sofrito: We’re building the holy trinity of taste in this article and the base for most Puerto Rican dishes: green bell pepper, cilantro (or culantro if you can obtain it!) and onion. Then you are going to increase your sazon spices and tomato sauce and say good day to DELICIOUSNESS.
- Home made sazon: sazon is a really popular Puerto Rican spice and I like generating it from scratch with this recipe! It flavors the rice SO considerably and pulls the total dish together.
- Tomato sauce: you’ll also have to have some tomato sauce (and water) to cook dinner the rice with the sofrito.
- Rice: I really like employing white basmati rice for the reason that of how fluffy the rice receives.
- Peas: inexperienced pigeon peas are 1 of my most loved points. Unfortunately, they can be tricky to find. I typically invest in them in the Hispanic segment of my grocery store, head to our local Hispanic shop, or order off Amazon. Do not be concerned while — if you want to use frozen peas as a substitute which is entirely an possibility and commonly what I do because I typically have them on hand.
Can I swap the rice?
I very recommend employing white basmati rice for the ideal texture, but you could also use cauliflower rice or 2/3 cup quinoa. I would NOT endorse applying brown rice simply because it requires a lot for a longer time to prepare dinner.
How to make one particular pan Puerto Rican hen and rice
- Marinate your chicken. Begin by tossing your hen in a bowl with olive oil and the adobo spices. Include and enable the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Brown the chicken. Following, brown the hen in a substantial skillet with olive oil by cooking it for about 4-5 minutes on every single. Transfer the chicken to a plate
- Make the sofrito. In the similar skillet add the garlic, jalapeño, eco-friendly pepper, onion and cilantro and saute for 2-3 minutes. Incorporate the sazon spices and cook for 30 seconds, then stir in the tomato sauce and drinking water.
- Include the rice. Carry the mixture to a simmer, then fold in the rice, peas, and olives (if using). Increase your browned chicken on leading.
- Simmer & serve. Decrease the heat to minimal, deal with the skillet, and permit everything prepare dinner for about 20-25 minutes right up until the rice is fully cooked. Garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of fresh new lime juice and serve!
Serving & storing guidelines
- To serve: this arroz con pollo recipe is fantastic for serving a crowd mainly because you can conveniently double the recipe.
- To retailer: simply retailer any leftover hen & rice in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. This recipe is fantastic for meal prep!
More spouse and children recipes to check out
Get all of my globally-inspired recipes here!
If you make this Puerto Rican hen and rice recipe be positive and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram or depart a remark underneath and fee it so I can know how you preferred it. Thanks for staying listed here — have a lovely week! xo.
This publish was at first printed on April 16th, 2018, and republished on March 12th, 2022.