Tastes like Korean BBQ and is on your dinner table in just 15 min from start to finish! Seriously. It doesn’t get any easier than this!
There seems to be a notion that food bloggers enjoy lavish home cooked meals 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. After all, we cook for a living, right? But in reality, at least for me, I’m constantly eating out during the week. Jason and I rotate between In-N-Out, Chipotle, or sushi dinners right at home because at the end of a full work day at the office, I can’t lift a finger in the kitchen.
That’s when this Korean beef bowl comes in. It’s seriously one of the easiest recipes I have ever made. The cooking process itself takes just about 10-15 minutes, and if you have some leftover cooked rice, you’ll have dinner on the table before you know it!
Now this recipe is a twist on the traditional Korean dish, bulgogi, but it’s a cheater version using ground beef instead of thin slices of sirloin, making this a budget-friendly dish. Bulgogi is also marinated overnight to enhance its flavors and tenderness but with this ground beef version, you can have the same flavors in 15 minutes or less!
So while we cut down on eating out during the week, I’m sure this beef bowl will be in constant rotation at our house!
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and ginger.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture and green onions until well combined, allowing to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds, if desired.