These freezer-friendly taquitos are filled with BBQ chicken and pineapple goodness, making them perfect as a light meal or game day snack!
I’m a bit obsessed with anything involving pineapple and BBQ sauce so with much brainstorming (more like dreaming and then waking up to be completely inspired), I decided to make these baked chicken taquitos. They’re slathered on with my favorite BBQ sauce, loaded with caramelized red onions and freshly cut pineapple with melted sharp cheddar goodness throughout a crispy, yet tender tortilla.
It was quite an amazing lunch as I gobbled these babies up with an extra drizzle of BBQ sauce, and they tasted just as good when they were frozen and reheated for a busy, effortless weeknight meal later on in the week. See, I don’t know about you but having a freezer-friendly meal around is much needed around my house – I’m constantly eating cereal dinners because I just don’t have enough time to whip something up!
But now I have these loaded taquitos for any day of the week. I just wish I had doubled the batch so I could have it for breakfast, lunch AND dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8-10 Mission Foods Super Soft Medium Flour Tortillas, softened
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In a large bowl, combine red onion, chicken, cheddar cheese, pineapple, BBQ sauce and cilantro; season with salt and pepper; to taste.
- Working one at a time, transfer tortilla to a work surface; place BBQ chicken mixture in the center of each wrapper. Bring the bottom edge of the tortilla tightly over the filling, rolling from bottom to top until the top of the tortilla is reached. Repeat with remaining tortilla and filling.
- Place taquitos seam side down onto prepared baking sheet and bake until taquitos are crisp and cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with BBQ sauce, if desired.