Everyone’s FAVORITE chicken tikka masala bowls made from scratch in just 30 min! And you can prep for the entire week!!!
So it’s been quite a week.
I ended up in the ER Sunday night, which turned out to be appendicitis.
I personally thought it was bad gas.
Then, they took out my appendix at 7AM, Monday morning.
Now, I’ve been on a clear liquid diet since then, but all I can think about are these chicken tikka masala bowls.
I mean, it’s just torture.
But the minute I get discharged, I’m making this for the entire week.
With extra naan. And extra garlic naan.
After all, I have some lost time to make up for with all the hospital jello and ice cream.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken and onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4-5 minutes; set aside.
- Stir in tomato paste, ginger, garlic, garam masala, chili powder and turmeric until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, lemon juice and chicken until heated through, about 1 minute.
Place rice and chicken mixture into meal prep containers, garnished with cilantro, if desired.