Budget-friendly, quick and easy. Made in just 15 min! You can also add leftover chicken or carnitas. The possibilities are endless!
Beans and rice.
This is the ultimate, and I mean ULTIMATE, budget-friendly and affordable meal, made in like 15 minutes using leftovers from the night before. BOOM.
Just take the leftover rice, stir in your favorite kind of salsa (store-bought or homemade), and top with beans and cheese.
You’ll get that ooey gooey cheesy crust right on top.
And you can even add in other variety of beans to taste. It’s up to you!
Leftover carnitas or roasted chicken would also be an amazing addition.
Not to mention a possible guacamole and sour cream drizzle on top. See, the possibilities are endless.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup salsa, store-bought or homemade
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to broil. Lightly oil an 8×8 or 2 quart baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions. Stir in salsa, lime juice and cilantro
- Spread rice mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with beans and cheeses. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheeses have melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired.