Chai-Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
Yoooooo the muffin queen is again with a single of my complete most loved muffins of ALL freaking time.
I really don’t say that frivolously contemplating how a lot of delightful wholesome muffin recipes I have on the blog site. There are unquestionably lots to select from, but these butternut squash muffins are just Superb and a single of those recipes I held building above and about once again for weeks.
*Pours a cup of espresso, inhales a butternut squash muffin*
This recipe commenced when I was sitting on my laptop staring over my kitchen island at a lonely butternut squash on the counter. I believed to myself, why not throw it in a muffin and see what transpires?
It’s possible incorporate some brown butter and chai spices? Oh and what about a ridiculously simple sweet and salty glaze too? Uh huh honey, this is gonna be excellent.
How to roast butternut squash for muffins
To start with, be certain to look at out our tutorial on how to peel & slash butternut squash, then I advise subsequent my guidelines on how to roast a halved butternut squash here. You’ll conclude up with tender, sweet butternut squash flesh that can simply be mashed for these muffins. Just make sure you discard the skin ahead of including to muffin batter.
Key elements in butternut squash muffins
These simple butternut squash muffins are manufactured with basic elements you likely presently have in your cabinet. They are fluffy, in a natural way sweetened and the fantastic way to use up butternut squash (or acorn squash, sweet potato or pumpkin!). Below are a couple of essential components you are going to want to make these muffins extra special.
- Roasted butternut squash: After training you how to successfully slice a butternut squash and then roast it, I determine you can place all those capabilities to use in these muffins!
- Brown butter: I love the nutty, caramel flavor brown butter provides to these muffins. If you haven’t browned butter before, you can check out my tutorial listed here.
- Eggs: you are going to need 2 eggs in this muffin recipe to get the suitable texture.
- Honey: These butternut squash muffins are the natural way sweetened with honey, and have the most mouth watering salted honey glaze!
- Chai spices: I certainly adore producing selfmade chai spices. All you will need is cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and allspice. Every muffin bite tastes like a chai latte with a hint of honey.
- Flour: I adore making use of whole wheat pastry flour in my muffin recipes since it has the dietary benefit of total wheat flour, but is much airier and light.
Simple component swaps
I advise sticking with the recipe the best that you can to assure super delectable, fluffy muffins, but in this article are some quick ingredient swaps that will also get the job done effectively:
- For the butternut squash: indeed, you can also use roasted acorn squash, sweet potato or even pumpkin! Study how to make home made pumpkin puree listed here.
- For the honey: really feel absolutely free to use maple syrup rather of honey in the recipe and in the glaze if you’d like.
- For the full wheat pastry flour: white complete wheat flour will work, or you can use all goal flour. A different great choice is to use 1 cup total wheat flour and 3/4 cup all purpose flour.
Can I make them vegan or gluten no cost?
- To make vegan: use melted and cooled coconut oil or melted vegan butter rather of typical butter, and use two flax eggs in its place of regular eggs. Remember to note that you can’t brown vegan butter. The glaze is ideal when created with vegan butter as an alternative of coconut oil!
- To make gluten free of charge: make sure you note that I have not analyzed these muffins with a gluten no cost substitute, but I suspect that chickpea flour, oat flour (attempt out handmade tutorial) or a 1:1 gluten free of charge baking flour may function. Permit me know in the reviews if you consider it!
How to brown butter for muffins
- Heat it up. Add butter to a small saucepan and area over medium warmth. The butter will get started to soften, crackle, and then finally foam.
- Maintain whisking. While the butter is primarily “cooking” in your saucepan, make guaranteed you whisk consistently.
- View the colour. After a few of minutes, the butter will start to brown and transform a good golden amber colour on the base of the saucepan, this generally happens at the time it foams. Keep on to whisk and take out from heat as before long as the butter starts to brown and give off a nutty aroma.
- Allow it interesting. Immediately transfer the butter to a bowl to avert burning, creating certain you scrape all the butter from the pan. Set it aside to permit it interesting before utilizing it in your recipe.
What do butternut squash muffins taste like?
These butternut squash muffins taste extremely similar to pumpkin or sweet potato muffins, especially if you roast the butternut squash first, as it adds a great sweetness.
If you’re not into chai spices, never worry, you can depart them out and just include 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in its place, or use 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. But trust me when I convey to you that the chai spices actually do get these muffins to the following degree.
How to store & freeze muffins
- To retailer: come to feel free to preserve these balanced butternut squash muffins at place temp for one day, then I suggest storing them in the fridge. Truly feel absolutely free to warm them up in the microwave.
- To freeze: allow the muffins to neat completely then set in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. As soon as completely ready to reheat, you can thaw at place temperature, or warmth up in the microwave in 30 next intervals.
Additional muffin recipes you are going to appreciate
Get all of our tasty muffin recipes here!
I know you’re heading to like these butternut squash muffins, remember to permit me know if you make them by leaving a remark and rating the recipe under. I’d appreciate to hear from you and it assists inspire many others to make the recipe too! Take pleasure in, xo.
This post was at first released on November 19, 2019, and republished on October 12, 2021.
Leave a Reply