Here’s the offer. 1 night about 5 many years ago now Tony and I were being deliriously hungry but couldn’t make up our minds as to where we should really go out to take in. Often figuring out and agreeing on a cafe is considerably like figuring out what we’re heading to enjoy on Netflix. We just can not make a decision.
Right after about an hour of heading again and forth on which restaurant we were heading to go out to, I opened the fridge and resolved that I was only going to whip anything up. I pulled out chicken breast, broccoli and cheddar cheese. For the reason that broccoli cheddar is the most effective combo, amiright? Hi, broccoli cheddar chicken pot pie. Then I peeked into the cupboard and located the last of my very favourite pearl couscous and realized what was about to go down.
About 30 minutes afterwards, Tony and I were being obtaining a incredible, filling, veggie and protein-packed broccoli cheddar rooster couscous although seeing some weird documentary about Scottish wild cats on Netflix. Ha. The upcoming day there were leftovers, so I resolved to roast some butternut squash that wanted to be applied up and increase it to the dish. OH MY GOSH, it was magnificent — sweet, spicy, cheesy, savory and SO superior I realized I experienced to remake it for the website.
I’m bringing back again this incredible butternut squash broccoli cheddar hen couscous for your ease and comfort foodstuff weeknight cravings. It’s the ideal way to use up the very last of winter squash, also!
Everything you will will need to make this broccoli cheddar hen couscous
This delectable hen couscous recipe is packed with heaps of veggies, lean protein and Taste! Generally, this is like a healthier model of mac and cheese with veggies and protein. I’M SO INTO IT. Here’s what you will require to make it:
- Butternut squash: you are going to roast it to tender perfection with a tiny olive oil, maple syrup, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. SO Good.
- Chicken: experience no cost to use chicken breast or thighs. You will prepare dinner it with garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt & pepper.
- Broccoli: gotta like the improve of greens in this meal.
- Couscous: I will say that the couscous actually normally takes the dish to the next stage. It’s a little bit chewy and doughy, which provides it a pasta-like taste/texture. It’s crucial that you use Israeli or pearl couscous to preserve the texture of the dish (it is like mini baby gnocchi!)
- Cheese: you are going to also will need some cheddar cheese for that incredible mac and cheese flavor and to pull the dish collectively.
Customise this chicken couscous
Because this broccoli cheddar hen couscous was genuinely a toss-with each other food, it’s also simple to personalize. Here’s what I can advise:
- Select your veggies: I appreciate the crisp bites of broccoli but sense no cost to combine in some roasted brussels sprouts, spinach or even kale for a enhance of greens!
- Go vegetarian: alternatively of chicken, feel free to use 1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas or white beans. Just add them right to the couscous the moment it’s performed cooking.
- Insert a kick of warmth: Tony suggests it’s scrumptious with a very little very hot sauce on prime if which is your thing! A sprinkle of red pepper flakes would also be mouth watering.
- Swap the squash: you could also roast up sweet potato the same way you do the butternut squash. Easy!
- Increase extra savory taste: I believe some cooked, chopped up bacon would also be mouth watering in this recipe.
Can I make it gluten cost-free?
A reminder that pearl couscous is not gluten absolutely free simply because it’s basically like mini pasta! You could check out utilizing white basmati rice in position of the couscous, but be aware that the liquids and cooking periods will vary. Let me know in the reviews if you test it!
Effortless vegan alternatives
If you are hunting to make this broccoli cheddar couscous vegan or dairy totally free, attempt employing a vegan cheese shreds, vegan queso like Siete, or stirring in this cashew cheese sauce.
Suggestions for prepping your butternut squash
Right before you roast it up, try to remember to get all of our tips & methods for peeling and cubing butternut squash right here! You will roast up these cubes with the spices in advance of adding them in the dish.
How to make this butternut squash rooster couscous
- Roast the squash. Start off by introducing the butternut squash cubes to a substantial baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Include the olive oil, maple syrup and spices, and toss the squash very well in advance of roasting. Get far more tips for roasting butternut squash listed here!
- Prepare dinner the hen. While the squash is roasting, cook dinner your cubed hen in a skillet with olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Transfer it to a bowl at the time it is cooked.
- Cook dinner the couscous & broccoli. The broccoli florets essentially steam in the pot with the couscous, so you will want to insert both of those to a substantial pot or dutch oven with water or broth. Convey them to a boil, then cover, lessen the warmth to very low and cook for just 8-10 minutes complete.
- Combine & serve. The moment the couscous absorbs the h2o, give it a stir and then fold in the cooked rooster and shredded cheddar. Lastly, combine in the roasted butternut squash, style and regulate the seasonings, and love!
Retail outlet any leftover broccoli cheddar hen couscous in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Merely reheat in the microwave!
Far more cozy supper recipes
Get all of our delightful meal recipes in this article!
I hope you really like this broccoli cheddar hen couscous! If you make it be sure to go away a remark and a ranking so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Recipe by: Evi Madison // SRCooking Pictures by: Take in Love Eats
This article was initially printed on December 10th, 2018, republished on February 24th, 2022, and republished on January 1st, 2023.
Leave a Reply