Cook the most perfect scallops every. single. time. So fast and easy to make (just 5 ingredients) yet so so fancy!
A fancy night in. NYE. Monday night. Thursday lunch. COVID-date-night…
Yes, THIS is exactly what you need. Perfectly seared scallops with all the foamy butter, garlic and fresh thyme.
It is divine. It is quick. And it is easy. It takes 5 ingredients and just 30 minutes of your time from start to finish.
Serve with this IP mushroom risotto for a complete meal with all the crusty bread. And wine, of course.
- 1 ¼ pounds scallops, about 24
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Season scallops with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, add scallops to the skillet in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until golden brown and translucent in the center, about 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium low; melt remaining 5 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the butter starts to foam. Add garlic and thyme to the skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Return scallops to the skillet; spoon butter over scallops for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.