Brown Butter Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
Welcome to Cookie 7 days Day 3! You are in for a Significant treat as these salted brown butter butterscotch oatmeal cookies are motivated by one particular of my most loved cookies in Chicago.
About a yr ago, Abra started off telling me about these remarkable cookies at Beatrix, 1 of our go-to places to eat in Chicago. One particular night immediately after supper, we resolved to get the salty butterscotch oatmeal cookie from their bakery and from that issue on, it is been my new favored. It is crunchy on the outside, has a chewy texture in the middle, is sweet, salty, full of butterscotch chips, oats and completely delightful.
I imagined about how I could recreate the cookies to make an correct model and after many rounds of tests I’m SO delighted with the result. This recipe is a single of my favourite cookie recipes at any time.
No cost Greatest Manual to Cookie Baking
Indication up underneath and get a Cost-free printable e-reserve with my best tips & methods for baking great cookies every single time!
Elements in these butterscotch oatmeal cookies
These chewy butterscotch oatmeal cookies, or “oatmeal scotchies” as some men and women call them, are tremendous simple to make and have some special elements that make them incredible. Here’s what you’ll require to make them:
- Butter: we’re, of program, browning the butter to give the recipe a caramel taste and a exceptional nutty flavor. If you really do not know how to brown butter, I have a tutorial listed here.
- Brown sugar: these cookies are made with brown sugar only (no granulated sugar). It keeps the cookies chewy in the center and adds a trace of molasses flavor.
- Eggs: you will need to have 2 eggs in this cookie recipe.
- Flour: we’re utilizing normal all function flour for the perfect texture.
- Oats: we use rolled oats in this recipe to give it a awesome texture. Have confidence in me, they are ideal so be sure to really don’t use brief oats.
- Cornflakes: yes, you read through that ideal! Cornflakes are extra to the dough to give the cookies a crunch issue. I know it seems a minimal odd, but have confidence in me, they are important.
- Butterscotch chips: who doesn’t enjoy butterscotch morsels? Of program, if they aren’t your matter you could usually use common chocolate chips (or perhaps a mix of equally YUM).
- Baking staples: do not forget about the vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt. Master how to make your individual vanilla below!
- Maldon salt: you know, the fancy salt. Coarse sea salt also functions! It’s sprinkled in excess of the cookies.
A notice on substitutions
Please be guaranteed to make the recipe as-is so that the oatmeal butterscotch cookies occur out correctly. If you’re seeking for a gluten absolutely free option, examine out all of my gluten totally free cookies below.
I haven’t examined a vegan version of the cookies, but allow me know if you try out it with flax eggs. You will then have to use vegan butter, which you cannot brown.
Can I use fast oats or steel minimize oats?
I would not advocate swapping the rolled oats for steel cut or fast oats as the texture will be really unique.
Decide on your cookie blend-ins
I Adore the flavor of butterscotch in these cookies, but you can come to feel free of charge to swap the butterscotch chips for any other mix-ins like:
- White chocolate or dim chocolate chips
- Dried cranberries, raisins, or dried cherries
- Peanut butter chips (yum!)
Hunting for thicker cookies?
Sense totally free to add an more 2-3 tablespoons of flour to the dough!
Do not overlook these recommendations for perfect butterscotch oatmeal cookies
- Do not use substitutes. Please be confident to comply with the recipe as published except if substitutes are mentioned. Changing the flour will most likely influence the style and texture of these cookies.
- Use home temp components. After you brown your butter you will want to make absolutely sure that it is great so that it does not coagulate with the other components. The exact goes for your eggs — just operate the eggs below warm drinking water for about a moment (or position them in a bowl of warm h2o for a couple of minutes) right before adding them to your dough.
- Use clean baking soda. Make positive your baking soda is fresh to make certain that these butterscotch cookies bake up correctly.
- Measure your flour correctly. Do you know the best way to evaluate flour devoid of a scale? Get my recommendations & tricks in this online video!
Storing & freezing recommendations
- To keep: store these butterscotch oatmeal cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 times.
- To freeze: you can in fact freeze the cookie dough OR the freshly baked cookies to take pleasure in later! Get all of my suggestions and tips for freezing cookies right here.
Far more cookie recipes you are going to adore
Get all of my cookie recipes in this article!
I really hope you get a possibility to bake these butterscotch oatmeal cookies for family members & pals! If you make them be confident to go away a comment and a score so I know how you appreciated them.
Recipe by: Evi Madison // SRCooking Photography by: Yoga of Cooking
Leave a Reply